Here are the most frequent decline reasons and actions you can take to receive better match offers.
Contact KidneyPairedDonation@unos.org with questions or if you need help.
The number one refusal reason remains unacceptable virtual crossmatch.
- Repeat antibody screens and update candidate unacceptable antigens every 110 days in KPD per policy.
- Complete donor pre-select each week and pre-refuse any donors not appropriate for individual candidate. This may require cooperation between transplant center and HLA lab.
Matched donor age or BMI
- Choose maximum donor age, BMI and other factors that you are willing to accept, in the donor and candidate choices tab, or
- Complete the donor pre-select weekly and pre-refuse any donors not appropriate for individual candidates.
Candidate and/or donor are unavailable
(Pair involved in another KPD program exchange; candidate transplanted or other transplant being considered;or candidate ill or temporarily unavailable or unsuitable)
- Inactivate the both the donor and candidate in KPD when:
- You are considering an offer in another KPD program
- You are aware you candidate and/or donor are unavailable for transplant
- You are considering another living donor for this candidate and will refuse any offers until evaluation complete
- Anytime the donor is unable to donate or the candidate are temporarily unable to donate/ be transplanted at the time of offer
- Complete the donor pre-select weekly
- It is easy to reactivate pair and there is no limit to times you make them inactive and reactive.
- Candidates continue to accumulate KPD wait time while inactive.