Patient information letter
Below is a copy of the patient information letter transplant hospitals are required to use according to OPTN Policy 3.5 in their notification to patients. The letter is also available in multiple languages in PDF form.
The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network Toll-free patient services line:
Your resource for organ transplant information.
Staffed 8:30 am – 5:00 pm ET Monday – Friday. Leave a message 24/7 to receive a call back.
The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) is the national transplant system. It makes the policies that decide how donated organs are matched to patients waiting for a transplant.
- Makes sure donated organs get matched to people on the transplant waiting list
- Tells people about the donation and transplant processes
- Makes sure that the public knows about the need for more organ and tissue donations
The OPTN has a free patient services line that you can call to:
- Get more information about:
- Organ donation and organ transplants
- Donation and transplant policies
- Get an information kit with:
- A list of transplant hospitals
- Waiting list information
- Talk about any questions you may have about your transplant hospital or organ procurement organization. The staff will do their best to help you or point you to others who may help.
- Find out how you can volunteer with the OPTN and help shape transplant policy
The patient services line number is: 1-888-894-6361
Patient services line staff cannot answer questions about your own medical care, including:
- Waiting list status
- Test results
- Medical records
You will need to call your transplant hospital for this information.
The following websites have more information about transplantation and donation:
- OPTN: https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/
- For potential living donors and transplant recipients:
- Transplantation data: https://www.srtr.org/
- Organ donation: https://www.organdonor.gov/
The patient information letter is available in the following languages:
- English (Updated 06/25/2023; PDF - 309KB)
- Spanish (Updated 06/25/2023; PDF - 50KB)
- French (Updated 06/25/2023; PDF - 152KB)
- Korean (Updated 06/25/2023; PDF - 208KB)
- Aramaic (Updated 06/25/2023; PDF - 166KB)