The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) is releasing a Summary of Evidence on SARS-CoV-2 donor evaluation and testing, as well as organ recovery from donors with a history of COVID-19. Compiled by the OPTN Ad Hoc Disease Transmission Advisory Committee (DTAC), the document includes the latest information known for minimizing the risk of donor-derived COVID-19 transmission while maximizing donor utilization.
The committee developed the summary in collaboration with colleagues representing AST, ASTS, AOPO, HRSA, and the CDC. This document contains information on the following:
- SARS-CoV-2 deceased donor evaluation and testing
- Recovery of organs from deceased donors with a history of resolved COVID-19
- Recovery of organs from deceased donors with active COVID-19
- SARS-CoV-2 living donor testing and other precautions to minimize the risk of donor-derived COVID-19
- Recovery of organs from living donors with a history of resolved COVID-19
DTAC has committed to reviewing the document quarterly.