New training module available to educate professionals and patients about kidney allocation changes
Published on: Friday, November 28, 2014
The national kidney allocation system (KAS) will be changing effective December 4, 2014. UNOS’s new KAS training module is our latest available tool to help educate both transplant professionals and patients waiting for a kidney transplant about the upcoming changes.
Transplant professionals can use this module as a guide to talk to their patients about the upcoming changes and patients can also access it themselves to learn more about how the changes will impact them directly.
- KAS: what your candidates need to knowExit disclaimer - English (Video - 15:00)
- KAS: what your candidates need to knowExit disclaimer - Spanish (Video - 16:41) - New
Program title: The Kidney Allocation System: What Candidates Need to Know about Kidney Allocation Changes
Background: The current kidney matching system has helped tens of thousands of people get successful transplants. But there are ways it can be further improved. One issue was that some kidney recipients have not received a kidney that works as long as they may need. Another issue was that some patients must wait much longer than others for a kidney due to their blood type or their immune response to most available kidneys. The revised system’s primary goal was to make the system better without making major changes to the parts of the system that work well. The new system is expected to help more people have longer function with their transplanted kidney as well as to shorten the waiting time for some groups of kidney patients who often wait a very long time because they are hard to match with most kidneys.
Program Objectives: After completing this training module, you will be able to:
- Describe changes to the kidney allocation system
- Explain how system changes will impact kidney patients registered for transplant
- Locate additional resources on kidney allocation policy Audience
- Kidney patients currently registered on the kidney transplant waiting list
- Kidney patients that will be registered for a kidney transplant after KAS is implemented