Status: Public Comment
Sponsoring Committee: Vascularized Composite Allograft (VCA) Transplantation
Strategic Goal: Improve waitlisted patient, living donor, and transplant recipient outcomes
Read the proposal (PDF; 01/2020)
Contact: Tina RhoadesSubmit a comment
Click on the Submit a comment button above to provide your feedback. Your comments relating to the proposal will be displayed in the comment section below (within 24 hours).
No other identifying information will be displayed unless you choose to display your name with the comment. You can also submit a comment anonymously. You may submit comments by email, fax or mail.
At a glance
What is current policy and why change it?
OPTN data submission requirements for Vascular Composite Allograft transplant (VCA) recipients were implemented September 2015. A review of data reported to the OPTN since that time noted opportunities to refine the data collection to further capture recipient outcomes. This proposal will modify data reported to the OPTN on VCA transplants.
What’s the proposal?
- Modify existing Transplant Recipient Registration (TRR) and Transplant Recipient Follow-up (TRF) instruments used to collect data on head and neck, and upper limb transplant recipients.
- Add new data elements for uterus on TRR and TRF instruments.
- Request feedback on the data elements to collect for VCA types such as larynx, abdominal wall and penis.
What’s the anticipated impact of this change?
- What it’s expected to do
- Create consistent data elements across VCA types that are developed by consensus in the field.
- Develop VCA outcomes data that can be used for future policy decision making.
- What it won’t do
- Change data reporting policy requirements, e.g., when forms are due, for OPTN members.
Themes to consider
- Additional data submitted on uterus transplant recipients.
- What data elements should be collected for other VCA types, including abdominal wall, larynx, musculoskeletal graft segments and penis? The feedback received from the transplant community will inform a future data collection proposal requiring data collection on the above VCA types other than upper limb, head and neck and uterus.
- Which is the most appropriate psychosocial assessment to be included on the Transplant Recipient Follow-up (TRF) instrument for all VCA types?
Terms you need to know
- Transplant Recipient Registration (TRR): The form completed and submitted by the transplant center when a patient is transplanted. The form contains patient status, pre-transplant clinical measures, transplant procedure, post-transplant clinical measures, graft status, treatment and immunosuppression.
- Transplant Recipient Follow-up (TRF): The form completed and submitted by the transplant center containing recipient information at six months post-transplant (all but thoracic) and annually thereafter. The form contains patient status, clinical measures at follow-up, graft status, viral detection, treatment and immunosuppression.
- Click here to search the OPTN glossary.