- UNOS patient information letter - English (PDF - 77KB)
- UNOS patient information letter - Spanish (PDF - 567KB)
If you have a question regarding your own medical care, you always should call your transplant hospital first. However, for general organ transplant-related information, you should call the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) toll-free patient services line at 1-888-894-6361.
Anyone, including potential transplant candidates, candidates, recipients, family members, friends, living donors, and donor family members, can call this number to:
- Talk about organ donation, living donation, the transplant process, the donation process, and transplant policies.
- Get a free patient information kit with helpful booklets, waiting list and transplant information, and a list of all transplant hospitals.
- Ask questions about the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) web site, the UNOS Web site or the UNOS web site for living donors and transplant recipients.
- Learn how UNOS and the OPTN can help you.
- Talk about any concerns that you may have with a transplant hospital.
UNOS is a not-for-profit organization that provides the administrative services for the national OPTN under federal contract to the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), an agency under the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
UNOS and the OPTN are responsible for:
- Providing educational material for patients, the public, and professionals.
- Raising awareness of the need for donated organs and tissue.
- Writing organ transplant policy with help from transplant professionals, transplant patients, transplant candidates, donor families, living donors, and the public.
- Coordinating organ procurement, matching, and placement.
- Collecting information about every organ transplant and donation that occurs in the United States.
Remember, you should contact your transplant hospital directly if you have questions or concerns about your own medical care including medical records, work-up progress, and test results.
UNOS is not your transplant hospital, and staff at UNOS will not be able to transfer you to your transplant hospital, so keep your transplant hospital’s phone number handy.
However, while you research your transplant needs and learn as much as you can about transplantation and donation, we welcome your call to our toll-free patient services line at 1-888-894-6361.
UNOS PIL Final Rev 1‐21‐2014